Primary Contact Information
Kogere Village Guest Farm
Contact: Ms. Naome Kisembo, +256 (0)774337500
· Kogere Village Guest Farm (Banda :
· Community Farm & Training Centre
· Organic Restaurant
· Craft Shop, internet cafe
-The project focuses on conservation and livelihood improvement. Conservation interventions include sensitization of members and non-members about the importance of protecting the national park and the wildlife through environmentally friendly business practices like recycling and holistic use of products. Livelihood improvement interventions are primarily tourism and organic farming activities.
-Tourism management is uncoordinated, price for each product not established and no clear mechanism for managing service delivery.
Potential Community Development and/or Conservation Support
· How will this product support community development?
· How will this product support conservation?
· Who would this product be sold to?
· Community members in Rukoki & Musabul
· Hoteliers in the area
· Principal organization
· Support organizations
· Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA)-Queen Elizabeth National Park (QENP), RMNP
· Local Governments – Kasese District Local Governments
· Tour Operators – focus on operators that take visitors to RMNP or QENP or operators interested in green or sustainable tourism
· Hoteliers- Equator Snow, RMS, Ruboni Community Rest Camp, Turaco, Margharita Hotel, White House, and others
· Non-governmental Organizations – NAADS, KURIKA, DENIVA, EcoTrust, US Peace Corps
· Private Good Samaritans- RobTex Enterprises Kasese
· Associations of local communities specializing in craft making, cultural dancing, guiding, or other tourism focused groups.
The land is already secured and the area is demarcated. The community farm organization will draft a constitution, and elect executive committee. Members will register as households and pay membership fees.
Then some members will need to familiarize themselves with similar projects through study tours (Masaka &Bwindi). With the help of an expert designer or agriculturalist, the group will plan community farm layout (include farm house and store). The group will acquire a volunteer/consultant for advice on organic farming. The group acquires seeds and began cultivating and planting.
Alongside the community farm maturation, Kogere guest farm will make a proposal for organic restaurant and solicit for funds. Once the farm and/or lodge is finished and nursery functional, the group will invite community to see to enlist more members. Community Farm leaders will inspect members’ farms and consult where necessary. Meetings will then be held to discuss food collection and selling of food stuffs.
A Familiarization trip will be organized for Hoteliers and tour operators to visit the Kogere Village Guest Farm and community farm. After this familiarization trip, the community farm group will start selling and delivering food stuffs to hoteliers and supplying own restaurant. Lodge, Internet Café and Community Training Centre will open.